Bankruptcy and other Consumer Protection Laws were created to protect you

Step 2 - Documentation

Get Some Papers Together.

I am willing to meet with you just to talk, with no strings attached. I want to answer all of your questions and give you the information you need to decide what suits you the best. It helps if you can have some papers with you during the conversation. If you can’t get everything, come in anyway. We can talk about what is missing and how to get it, if it is needed.

Here is information you can start getting together.
  • Tax Returns. IRS Tax returns for the previous two years (if you are required to file taxes).
  • Money Coming In. Pay stubs or other proof of income coming into the household for the past 6 months for you and, if you are married and living together, for your spouse as well regardless of whether or not they are filing. If you are separated, then you will not need proof of your spouse’s income.
  • Who You Owe. The bills and statements from your creditors or a list of all of your debts, including house note, car notes, credit cards, medical bills, furniture notes, finance companies, overdrafts, repossessions, payday loans, collection letters, and/or other correspondence about your debts, and any legal papers you have received like lawsuits, judgments, and wage garnishments. If you would like to print out a credit report, you can go to and print out a report from each of the 3 credit bureaus. Remember that not all debts are reported to the credit bureau – but this should give you a good bases to begin your list.

If you have any questions at all about the documentation that you need, just give me a call. Feel free to ask for me or for my paralegal, Joanie. We want to help you as much as possible and understand that sometimes it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. We will do our best to simplify the process on your end as much as possible.

On to Step 3: Consultation

Get Started

If you’re ready to get started, you can fill out the form below and we will give you a call. Or call me now at 601-948-4450.